The military camp is a temporary lodging facility for the army. Camps are generally set up when the military force have to travel away from a major installation or fort for training and other operations. These shelters not only provide shelters or sleeping spaces for the staff but also make room for offices and cafeteria. In fact, they have areas for training and exercises also. They form large bivouac. There is proper infrastructure in place for water, electricity and some form of communication mode for these camps.
Though the camps are generally well equipped with the basic amenities, however, there are few challenges that the army has to face in a camp:
- Unpredicted weather change:Military people are deployed to many places and the weather condition keeps changing. The camp may get affected by rain, snow, hail, and lightning. At times, they have to survive severe weather conditions and keep the work going.
- Injured personnel:It is very challenging to take care of a soldier who is injured during a mission. There are very few medical aids available at the camp and the doctors try to save a life using those available aids. Hence, the recovery of the patient also slows down than usual.
- Getting rashes from bug bites:No matter how well built a camp maybe; it cannot be compared to concreted build home. Therefore, are very much chances of bee, bug or any sort of insect coming in and biting. There is nothing much that can be done, however, repellent creams can be of some help.
- Safety issues:The places where the military camps are set up are not very safe places. It can be near a forest, where there may be the fright of wild animals invading. So, apart from the human enemy, they also have to be careful about the animals that may be harmful at times.
- Lack of communication:It has been noticed most of the time that the soldiers face network issues at the camp. During such times, they are unable to reach out to their family members. And that creates a sense of tension. The soldiers stay at the camp for many days and months and not getting connected to the family is something very frustrating for them.
- Extreme cold weather at night: In many areas even the hottest summer months experience surprisingly chill weather during the night. We know how difficult it is to survive the cold weather inside a house, imagine how it must be at the camp where is no concrete wall to resist the cold wind to pass through. Soldiers have to survive this at the camp.
- Last but not least, the problem of food:Some basic food is cooked at the camp with whatever things are available nearby. There is nothing fancy. Who likes to taste the same food over and over again? Same happens with the soldiers at the camp. They become tired of having bland food for days.
The above mentioned points will give you an overview of the problems faced at the military camps. All the problems are equally unavoidable. However, the problem of food is something can be resolved; If not every day, but on those special days when you want to plan a dinner date at the camp. Life at the camp becomes monotonous with the intense workload and following strict disciplines. Planning a dinner date with your loved one can bring a spark into your life and there would be something to celebrate even at the camp.
As you are not allowed to cook at the camp, you cannot cook any special meal, even on the day of your dinner date. This is where “ready to cook” food comes to rescue. It is bliss to the soldier couples who are trying to make their day special by having a special dinner and spending some good times together.
Ready to eat foods are referred to those foods that have been prepared to be consumed as it is. It does not require additional cooking. It can be served hot or consumed after minimum heating depending on the type of food.
- This kind of food can be refrigerated so that they can last long. You can use some portion of the food and refrigerate for further use.
- It has specific guidelines to ensure that there is no chance of bacteria forming after the food is prepared.
- Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instruction on how to cook and store the food. It is advisable to cover the food and then store it.
There are categories of “ready to eat” food available in the market:
- Baked food:Baked food includes cake, bread, doughnut, croissant, and cookie. This kind of food items can be served as is and can be stored at room temperature or you may refrigerate it as per your choice. These products are already heated to a temperature to kill bacteria, hence no further cooking/ heating is required.
- Meat products:Cooked meat such as “baked chicken” or “precooked chicken gravy”, need to be stored at 41 degrees Fahrenheit. That is because this temperature is considered safe to prevent the growth of bacteria. As this is refrigerated, it has to be heated nicely before consuming to get the perfect taste.
- Animal products:Cheese, milk, butter, sausages, hot dogs are referred to as animal products. They need to be stored in a refrigerator and can be consumed as is. Cheese and butter may be served with bread in many ways. Sausages and hot dogs can be consumed with minimum heating and you can have milk as is.
- Shelf-Stable products: These food items can be stored at room temperature without a doubt. They do not require refrigeration to bacteria-free. Items that fall under this category are chips, crackers, cereals, noodles, candies, nuts, biscuits. These products can be consumed as is and does not require heating. Though these items do not stale even at room temperatures, still it is advisable to finish the food once their sealed packaging is torn or there might be a chance of the food getting soggy.
After looking at the types of “ready to eat” food available at the market, let’s have a glance at how it would be beneficial for the soldier couples:
- Saves time:Consuming “ready to eat” food can save time if an individual. A soldier at the camp is always on their toes performing their allotted duties and getting trained. Therefore, on special occasions, like a date, the “ready to eat” food can save their time. The couple can spend more time together as their cooking time is saved. They just have to heat up the food and enjoy the dinner in a relaxed mode.
- Handy option:These food items are a handy option for soldier couples. It is very difficult to get the fancy ingredients for a special dinner at the camp. And that is the reason they are served the basic food on a regular basis. If a soldier couple decides to plan a dinner date at the camp that has to have some special food. “Ready to eat” food suffices the need. They may get their favorite food items and enjoy a lavish dinner.
- Variety of food available:There are many options available under “ready to eat” food category. From dry items to the gravy, from baked to fried and from vegetarian to non-vegetarian, you get to choose from a widespread. Therefore, chances are very high that your food craving would be satisfied perfectly. Moreover, the person who plans the date might not know the food choices of his/ her partner. With so many varieties available, they may keep number of options ready to surprise them and make them feel elated.
- The items can be stocked:A soldier’s life is an unpredictable one. Their work is not planned like any other jobs. They get instant orders and they need to work accordingly. Hence, a soldier couple cannot plan a date well in advance, because, may have to cancel them for unforeseen circumstances. They make sudden plans, be it a casual meet up or a dinner date. In such situations, they can use the “ready to eat” food (which is stocked earlier) and enjoy the time with their loved ones.
- Less wastage or leftover: The packets come in small quantities; hence it is generally sufficient for two people. If an individual thinks, that they and their partner would not be able to finish all the content, then there is an option for them to take out some and refrigerate the rest, so that it can be consumed later. This way they are not only preventing food wastage but also practicing value for money. “Ready to eat” food allows you to taste different variety of food without wasting.
This proves that “ready to eat” food is a boon to the soldier couples at the camp. They can take a break from the monotonous life and enjoy a special time together with great food options.